Monday, August 5, 2013

Seagate 2TB 64MB 7200rpm









I got a Seagate 3.5" 2TB 64MB 7200rpm today to replace my old 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200rpm. The hard disk is fitted to the Seagate Freeagent Xtreme.
http://www.seagate.com/support/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/freeagent-xtreme/

It was an upgrade as I reused the casing, just replacing the hard drive. I have it connected to a laptop via eSata interface and cable. By using CrystalDiskMark, this is the reading that I am getting. I encourage you share the reading if you have interesting findings.


vs
My internal 7200 2.5" 320GB hard disk


Not sure if these jargons make any sense, probably the first like on "Seq" means sequantial. I got an impressive 150.4Mb/s for read, 118.3Mb/s for write. Its is consider very good for a mechanical drive.

I did a test of copying a huge 10GB file into the hard drive. Previously with the old 500GB, I am getting probably around 80-90Mb/s transfer rate. With this new 2TB drive, I manage to move across 100Mb territory. It hovers around there.

Well in terms of operational, this is a silent drive. I don't even notice that it is switched on, on my desk.

I kinda of like this drive as I will use it to store and backup my files. If you pay slightly more, you might get a 128GB SSD. But that is completely a different comparison as these two products serve different purpose I would say.

No comments: